Monday, January 11, 2010

Jessica, Pink Lady and Cape Horn

I am following Jessica Watson and her boat Pink Lady closely on the net and I'm worried by what I see on the synoptic charts of the area. Jessica is not experiencing much bad weather and has just found a bit of wind at 12 knots. For the Cape, this is no weather at all. The synoptic charts look quite grim by comparison. I shall follow closely and say a prayer for her. From what I've read on Google Earth clicks in the area, it's possible for her to wait in the lee of one of the many islands if the weather turns bad. Then she can proceed again when the weather clears. She could get a rough time of it if she is unlucky. Sir Francis Chichester had a bigger boat and when it got rough, he continued at a rate with a storm sail. Observers said that the sail was about as big as a bath towel but enough to keep him going at quite a rate. His boat was a bit of a pig to handle but it was very strong - it was timber but made from hand laid timber laminate and was quite thick - he never had to worry about rough water. Here's luck and a prayer to Jessica. For the charts relating to weather go to the link at http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/nmoc/latest_D.pl?IDCODE=IDX0532

No comments:

Post a Comment